The student will have a knowledge in the following:
•History of the Internet •Internet Gain access to •Common solutions provided by the world wide web •Internet and Society
Simply by Mrs G. M. Narrainen, SBMF, UTM
• Internet will be based upon a client-server model.
• Client is definitely the end wearer's computer (with software) that sends needs to a hardware. • Server is a remote control computer (with software) that handles asks for from clients. 2
Great the Internet
1958: – The Advance Exploration Agency Program (ARPA -- USA), came up with the Information Control Technology Business office which started out investigating the potential of universal network. Packet turning routes packets of data on the network in the originating node to the vacation spot node, optimises the use of the programs available in a network, enabling more info to be dispatched per unit time. 69: – The world's 1st operational supply switching network went live at UCLA (University of California, Los Angeles). The network was named ARPANET. The ARPANET was designed to always be robust and reliable, in a way that it several could endure network losses.
History of the world wide web
1978 – The United kingdom Post Office, European Union Foreign and Tymnet, built within the ARPANET to create the initially international bundle switched network, the Foreign Packet Switched Service (IPSS). The Assembler/Disassembler was used to reconstruct info from bouts received or to break a stream of information into packets.
1985 – The National Research Foundation in the US constructed a university network backbone based on a TCP/IP (Transmission Control Protocol as well as Internet Protocol) works as follows: • TCP – does the packeting of messages and reassembling of the message IP – manages the responding to • The open network allowed academic researchers in the usa to access supercomputers. • The NSFNet gone online in 1986 using the TCP/IP-based technology via ARPANET. 1993 • The first released specification to get HTML was published in 1993 by the Internet Architectural Task Force (IETF).
• • •
HTML is the most common language accustomed to write websites.
A Internet browser is a application that allows users to access and surf around the Internet Since 1996, HTML continues to be maintained by the World Wide Web Range (W3C). The best choice of the Mosaic team in NCSA after that created his own business, Netscape, in 1994 and its flagship merchandise, the Netscape Navigator.
1995 • Microsoft moved into the market with its Internet Explorer and began that which was known as the browser wars with Netscape. • By mid 90s there are more than 300 million Internet surfers in the world. • In 95, Telecom In addition, a partnership between Mauritius Telecom and France Phone system, began offering Internet services and affiliated value added solutions in Mauritius. • This is when the Internet was commercially released in Mauritius.
Uses of the Internet
• Rendering info:
– – – – It can be used by companies to provide information on their products and services for the public. Application and other files available for download. News can be bought.
– – – – – – It is an economical method of connecting between persons in different places because postage stamps and telephones fees are not applied. Communication can certainly take place through emails, forums, chat, instantaneous messaging, videoconferencing, and Internet phones.
– Video games, music, movies, videos, e-cards, TV courses are available.
– E-learning. You can take classes on any subject. Communicate with people who are concluding the same study course as you.
– Searching (ecommerce applications). Internet bank. Tourism (tourists can select hotels by visiting websites) – Airline bookings. 8
TIPS ON HOW TO ACCESS THE WEB
• Internet Service Provider
– An online Service Provider (ISP) is a company or organisation providing you with Internet access services and related services to customers. Providers offered...
Referrals: • Computer Fundamental Manual, UTM